Spice up your breakfast with a batch of Vanilla Cardamom French Toast! Sliced brioche is dipped in a vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg custard and griddled until golden. Serve with butter, syrup, toasted almonds and powdered sugar for one delicious breakfast! Serves 6.
One thing I love about the weekends, besides the obvious, is that I get to make breakfast for my family.
Typically Sunday breakfasts consist of eggs and bacon or pancakes and bacon. On the menu this past Sunday morning was French toast and endless cups of coffee. I swear I’ll find any excuse to use bread or a griddle!
However my intentions were to just making some basic ol’ french toast, until I opened my spice drawer to grab the vanilla and spied the cardamom. Could it work? Of course it did. And so I blogged about it.
This breakfast wins the award for best flavor and best aroma. So, prepare to fall in love the second you place the custard dipped bread onto the griddle and get wafts of the vanilla, nutmeg and cardamom laced egg batter.
To Make This Vanilla Cardamom French Toast You will Need:
- eggs – Adds richness and will firm the custard while the French toast cooks.
- milk – Lends moisture to the French toast custard.
- bread – Brioche is my favorite bread to use in this recipe, but almost any will work.
- vanilla extract – Adds warmth and enhances all of the other flavors in this recipe.
- ground cardamom – Slightly citrusy with notes of mint and pepper.
- nutmeg – Warm, aromatic with subtle hints of clove.
- coconut or olive oil spray – Used for greasing the griddle or pan.
- salted butter – Slather over warm French toast when serving.
- real maple syrup – Drizzle desired amount over French toast when serving.
- sliced almonds – Optional for serving, but does add nutty flavor and some crunch.
- powdered sugar – Optional for a touch of sweetness when serving.
First crack 4 large eggs into a shallow dish.
Then measure and add in 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
What is cardamom?
It is a potent citrusy spice, so if you are unsure if you are a cardamom fan, maybe try a quarter teaspoon.
Next, whisk until thoroughly combined..
Then pour in two cups of milk and whisk some more. It’s insanely aromatic and I seriously couldn’t help from taking in deep breaths of the egg mixture!
Then dip one side in the egg mixture and then quickly flip to the other side. Repeat with the remaining 17 slices of brioche. NOTE: You will have to keep whisking here and there in between bread dipping because the cardamom likes to settle to the bottom of the dish.
Now, See those black specks? That would be the cardamom and nutmeg!
Then place onto a lightly oiled, preheated 325-350° griddle, or medium to medium-high heat if using a pan. The temperature will depend on the griddle you are using.
Next, flip after 3 minutes or when the bottom is golden and then repeat.
Lastly, serve the vanilla cardamom French toast with butter, syrup and I prefer mine with toasted sliced almonds too.
Because helllooo?! extra crunch in the form of almonds is never a bad thing.
For more French toast recipes Click HERE.
Enjoy! And if you give this Vanilla Cardamom French Toast recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!