This amazing Rotel Dip is the easiest and most delectable dip for any occasion! Perfectly spiced hamburger, creamy cheese, and full flavored Rotel tomatoes combine in this quick appetizer that everyone will love.
Everyone loves a fabulous dip, there’s just something about taking crackers, veggies, or chips and dipping them into something creamy, cheesy, and full of flavor. For more dips try this Insanely Delicious Hot Crab Dip, everyone’s favorite Loaded Creamy Ranch Dip, or this quick and easy 5 Minute Million Dollar Dip.
Rotel Dip Recipe
This dip couldn’t be any easier or faster. When you need a fast dip with tons of flavor, this is the winner! Rotel is canned tomatoes with green chilies, which adds just a touch of spice. I use taco seasoning to create more of that Mexican flare, but you can make this dish your own. It is SO creamy and delicious, I can’t stop myself from eating it! And the fact that it’s so easy to make means you can whip this up whenever you need to.
Make this for your next party, I promise your guests will love it! I have made this so many times, and it seriously never gets old. There’s just something perfect about creamy cheese, warm spices, and a pop of flavor from fresh veggies. It’s even perfect on a charcuterie board or served with your homemade air fryer tortilla chips. Any way you serve it, I guarantee your guests are going to love it!
With only 4 ingredients this couldn’t be easier! All the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store. You can switch up this recipe in so many different ways, you are going to love all of the combinations! You can find the exact measurements below in the recipe card.
- Hamburger: I like to use lean ground beef.
- Taco Seasoning: I love my homemade Taco Seasoning, but you can also use store-bought.
- Rotel Tomatoes: This is diced canned tomatoes with green chilies. Do not drain the can, you want all of those juices!
- Velveeta Cheese: Velveeta is processed cheese. I know it’s not for everyone, which is why I have a substitution down below.
How to Make Rotel Dip
This dip is made all in the same pot, which is why it’s so easy to make and clean up. I’m in love with quick and easy crowd pleasing dishes! Done in no time and served warm, you’ll be the hero of appetizers.
- Crumble: In a medium-sized skillet gook the ground beef, crumbling as it cooks. Cook till no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Add: Add in the taco seasoning, tomatoes, and cheese. Stir till melted. Remember not to drain the tomatoes, you’ll want the juices to help keep it the right consistency.
- Serve: Pour dip into desired serving dish and serve warm.
Crockpot Rotel Dip
Rotel dip is simple to make in the slow cooker! I prefer this dip warm because as it cools it thickens. So even if you make it on the stovetop, serving it in a crock pot to keep warm during the party is such a great idea.
- Crockpot Rotel Dip: To make cheese dip in the Slow Cooker first brown, crumble and drain the meat in a pan on the stovetop. Add it to the slow cooker. Then add the rest of the ingredients and turn on low for 2-3 hours, until everything is melted and smooth. Serve immediately or keep warm in the slow cooker. It’s that simple!
Tips and Variations for Rotel Cheese Dip
I love this dip because it’s so versatile. You can vary it to your liking, and do so without adding tons of other ingredients. Here are some of the ways I’ve made this dip that I think you will love! You seriously can’t go wrong when making this dip because every way I’ve made it has been a hit!
- Alternative Proteins: I like to use ground turkey or chicken sometimes instead of ground beef. Spice it up with chorizo. Make it vegetarian by leaving out the meat, or using beans instead!
- Adding Flavors: For a bit more bite, add chopped onions and sauté them. Add minced garlic too. There are so many different ways to spice this dish up. Add dashes of your favorite hot sauce, or add some crushed red pepper or jarred jalapeños. I love adding either chipotle chili powder or a teaspoon of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. Or salsa is a great way to switch things up!
- Tomatoes: You can sometimes find Rotel tomatoes in mild, medium, and hot. Use the heat level you and your family want. Do not drain the tomatoes. Add fresh tomatoes to garnish if you desire.
- Use Another Cheese: If you’d prefer not to use Velveeta, you can use 8 oz cream cheese cut up. If you use cream cheese add some sharp shredded cheese for extra flavor.
- Thin It Out: If you notice your dip is too thick (no one likes to break their chips in the dip). Thin it out with some milk a tablespoon at a time till it reaches the desired consistency.
- What to Serve Dip With: If you are looking for ideas, some of my favorite things to dip in Rotel dip are corn chips, pita chips, crackers, pretzels, breadsticks, and veggies!
This Rotel dip is amazing because it makes great leftovers! You can store it in the fridge or freezer, and the reheat is so easy.
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- In the Freezer: Store leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag and freeze for up to two months.