The ultimate treat for the holidays, these peppermint candy cane brownies are made with layers of fudgy brownie, creamy mint frosting, chocolate ganache, and crushed peppermint. One bite and you’ll be filled with Christmas cheer!
‘Tis the season for peppermint! Need more dessert inspiration? Try these peppermint meltaways, peppermint cheesecake, or peppermint meringue lollipops next!
Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
Don’t you just love the Christmas season? Even though it is so busy I love this time of year! Holiday treats are the best. Out of all of the holiday flavors, peppermint is one of my favorites! It just screams Christmastime and is so delicious! If you’ve been looking for a knockout dessert to add to the holiday lineup, these peppermint candy cane brownies are the answer.
If you know me, then you know I love a good brownie. (You’ll have to try out these 3-ingredient brownies, too!) These peppermint candy cane brownies are fudgy and indulgent with some holiday magic added. It starts with an amazing fudgy brownie base. Next up is a creamy mint center and then it is topped with chocolate ganache and candy canes! Each bite is filled with the perfect Christmas flavor. You’re going to love these brownies and want to make them all winter long!
Don’t let this list of ingredients scare you! I’m sure you have most of them in your pantry. The homemade mint frosting and chocolate ganache is what makes these peppermint candy cane brownies so good! Check out the recipe card for exact measurements.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works great!
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is a must-add because it keeps your brownies from turning out too dense.
- Salt: A pinch is all you need to enhance the flavor of your brownies.
- Unsweetened Chocolate: You can use a chocolate baking bar, candy melts, or chocolate chips.
- Unsalted Butter: Butter will give your brownies a nice, rich flavor and also keep them moist.
- Eggs: To bind all of the ingredients together.
- Sugar: Just regular white sugar will give these peppermint candy cane brownies the perfect sweetness!
- Vanilla: You can use either imitation or pure vanilla extract.
- Powdered Sugar: Adds sweetness and a silky-smooth texture as well.
- Butter: You can never go wrong with butter in frosting!
- Peppermint Extract: Go easy with the peppermint extract at first and then slowly add to taste. It can become overpowering pretty easily!
- Milk: To adjust the thickness.
- Red Food Coloring: (Optional) You’ll only need a drop or two to make the frosting pink.
- Crushed Peppermint Candy: Both candy canes and peppermints work!
How to Make Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
Making these tasty peppermint brownies is actually pretty simple! Plus, it only takes about 30 minutes. It’s the perfect dessert to make when the holidays get busy!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then line a 9×13 pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Then set aside.
- Melt Chocolate: Chop the unsweetened chocolate and add it to a microwave safe bowl. Add the butter and microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Mix in Eggs, Sugar, and Vanilla: In a stand mixer beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla for two minutes. Slowly add the melted chocolate until incorporated and add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake: Bake for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes our clean. Let brownies completely cool on a wire rack and put in the fridge to chill.
- Add Mint Frosting Layer: To make the peppermint frosting, beat together powdered sugar, butter, peppermint extract, milk and red food coloring until fluffy. Then spread evenly over the top of the brownie layer and put in the fridge to chill.
- Making the Chocolate Ganache: In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and butter. Then cook in 30-second intervals and stir until melted. Spread evenly over the mint frosting layer.
- Add Candy Cane Pieces: Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top and then chill until the chocolate has hardened.
How to Make the Best Brownies
Here are a few simple ways to make your peppermint candy cane brownies turn out perfectly! This peppermint brownie recipe is a staple for the holidays.
- Don’t Overmix: Only mix your brownie batter until it’s smooth. If you overmix it, gluten may develop and your brownies will turn out rubbery and dense.
- Use High-Quality Chocolate: The higher quality chocolate you use, the better your brownies will taste. I usually go for Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips.
- Let Your Brownies Chill: Be sure to give your peppermint candy cane brownies time to chill and set. This way, you’ll be able to cut them into uniform squares without making a mess.
How Long Will My Brownies Last?
There’s nothing better than having homemade brownies to munch on throughout the week. If you’re lucky enough to have some left over, here’s how to keep them tasting soft, fudgy, and delicious.
- At Room Temperature: Store your leftover peppermint brownies in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 5 days.