These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are an easy side dish for any holiday or weeknight dinner! They are creamy and flavorful and come together in just 15 minutes.
Potatoes are the bread and butter of any hearty meal. I love them in every form! A few more quick and recipes you need to add to the dinner lineup are these garlic butter hasselback potatoes, duchess potatoes, and classic scalloped potatoes!
Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Making mashed potatoes can sometimes be a bit of a hassle. First peeling potatoes, then chopping, boiling, draining, mashing and seasoning. (You’ll have to try my dad’s famous mashed potatoes if you have the extra time.) If you want to cut down on prep time but don’t want to compromise on flavor, these Instant Pot mashed potatoes are the answer. You’re going to love them because they’re so easy and delicious!
Being a busy mom, I’ll admit I sometimes have a problem remembering that I have to make dinner some nights. Both my Instant Pot and air fryer are a life-saver! I love that I can make hearty, delicious meals for my family in a pinch. I think that’s why I love this recipe so much. Now mashed potatoes don’t have to be reserved for the holidays! You can easily make them for weeknight dinners because all it takes are a few simple ingredients and 15 minutes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
These Instant Pot mashed potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving coming up because they’ll free up space on the stove and are totally hands-off. This way, you can actually enjoy your holiday dinner with your guests! Also, you only need a few simple things to make them. That’s what makes this recipe the best! Note: exact measurements can all be found in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes: I used red potatoes, but you can definitely try out other types here! Yukon or Russet potatoes are both great options because they’re so nice and buttery!
- Chicken Broth: I used low-sodium chicken broth because it adds extra flavor to these mashed potatoes and makes them nice and smooth.
- Butter: Butter is a must for rich, creamy potatoes!
- Kosher Salt: I always go for kosher salt over table salt because it’s not as bitter.
- Italian Seasoning: If you’ve never tried adding herbs to your mashed potatoes, here’s your sign to! I love it because it adds extra flavor!
- Garlic Powder: You can’t go wrong with garlic. Add some in for the best savory flavor!
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste!
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot
Give your potatoes a quick chop, throw them into the pot with some chicken broth, pressure cook for 10 minutes, and mash. No draining necessary! This recipe will quickly become one of your favorites.
- Add Potatoes to Instant Pot: Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot. (No need for a trivet!) Pour the chicken broth on top.
- Cook: Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and set to Manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- Release Pressure: When the cook time is over, turn the Instant Pot off and let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then open the valve to release remaining pressure.
- Mix In Remaining Ingredients: Next, add butter, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper. Mash everything together until smooth. Season to taste!
Tips and Variations
Here are a couple ways you can customize and perfect these Instant Pot mashed potatoes! I know you’re going to love them as much as I do.
- Skip Peeling Your Potatoes: I don’t ever peel my potatoes because the skin packs in so many nutrients! The potatoes are so tender once the cook time is up. The skin easily mashes in and you hardly even notice it. It’s great because it cuts down on prep time even more!
- Extra Mix-Ins: The chicken broth adds incredible flavor, but you can add whatever you like to season them after cooking! A little salt and pepper and butter is delicious and great for keeping things simple. Want to jazz things up a bit? Add in some browned butter or flavored cream cheese. Anything goes! Some of my go-tos are seasoning salt or Cajun seasoning for an extra boost of flavor.
Leftover mashed potatoes are the best! They’re great with leftover gravy or honestly just heated up on their own. I’m such a potato-lover, finding leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge is one of my favorite things!
- In the Refrigerator: Store leftover potatoes in an airtight container for up to 5 days.