There’s absolutely not one better dessert I can think of than this patriotic Fruit Pizza for the 4th of July. Sugar cookie crust meets fresh berries with a cream cheese topping that’s to die for — and so pretty too!
Every 4th of July growing up we always got together with family and had the best time getting together for the day, going to parades, playing outdoor games, and of course — eating all the amazing picnic foods. My favorite part was seeing what creative, red, white, and blue-themed July 4th patriotic desserts my aunts and cousins would bring. It never ceased to amaze me how creative they always were and how delicious the desserts were too. This sugar cookie pizza topped with fruit is my spin on a version my mom always used to make. You’re going to love it.
Here’s How You Make It (Step By Step Instructions)
Making the Sugar Cookie Crust
- First, make the sugar cookie pizza crust by creaming together the room-temperature butter and sugar. Then, mix in the egg yolks, the extracts, and salt. Mix in half of the flour, then mix in the rest of the remaining flour.
- Roll out dough into a 14-inch circle on a baking sheet or pizza pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the edges have just barely begun to turn golden brown (be careful not to overcook!).
- Allow the flag pizza to cool completely on the counter or stove top while preparing the topping.
Making the Topping
- Now for the topping: Cream together the room-temperature cream cheese, sugar, and extracts. Now, mix in half of the whipped topping, then gently fold in the remaining whipped topping.
- Evenly spread the topping over the completely cooled crust.
Adding the fruit
- Add fresh fruit in any design you like.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Why This Recipe Works
Fresh fruit — There’s just no way around it — this July 4th patriotic recipe just calls for fresh fruit. Frozen just wouldn’t be the same and it would get to runny and ruin the whipped cream.
Sugar cookie — There’s just nothing that works as well for a red white and blue dessert base than this sugar cookie. It’s so easy to make and so delicious, you might want to double the sugar cookies and make two fruit pizzas or just make extra cookies just because!
So easy — This patriotic dessert is so easy to make. All you have to do is make the sugar cookie, add the whipped cream, and top with fresh fruit however you like. It’s delicious even if you just toss fruit on top, you don’t have to be fancy at all!
Decadent topping — Sure you could just use a whipped topping for the base for the fruit but why not up the tastiness of it a bit and make it a little thicker so that the fruit sticks better and the topping is a little thicker. All you need is cream cheese, sugar, a couple extracts, and the whipped topping too to make the most perfect ase for your fruit pizza.
- Want to make this fruit pizza into a patriotic dessert? Here’s how you design it: Spread only half of the topping onto the cooled crust. Use blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries to create the look of a U.S. flag. Pipe the remaining topping into the gaps between the red stripes. For the stars, I used a star cookie cutter and some of the sugar cookie mixture, then baked separately from the rest of the crust.
- This fruit pizza will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can freeze the sugar cookie pizza and the topping separately but don’t freeze the fruit unless you plan on making a smoothie out of it later. It’s best to eat the pizza within 3 days of making it and skipping the freezer all together.
- If you want to make the sugar cookie pizza crust ahead of time, simply put all the ingredients together and pop the dough in the fridge for up to one week. Let it thaw on the counter (you want it to be pliable but not too soft) before rolling out into a circle and baking.
- You can also make this pizza into a rectangular shape by shaping it in a rectangular pan or half baking sheet. It looks more like a flag if that’s how you want to decorate the flag pizza and it is a bit easier to cut into squares and serve.
Recipes To Try Next
For more delicious desserts to make for the summer holidays, check out my popular posts for White Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Firecracker Bundt Cake, and Iced Oatmeal Cookies.
If you make this festive fruit pizza, please come back and let me know what you think by leaving a comment and rating the recipe! And be sure to snap a photo and email it or tag me on social media, I love connecting with you and seeing your CDLC creations!