Chick-fil-A peppermint milkshakes are one of the best things about the holiday season, but they’re always gone too soon! Here’s how you can make this delicious peppermint shake at home with just a few simple ingredients.
Chick-fil-A is one of my favorite fast food restaurants. Can you blame me? From their mouthwatering waffle fries to frosted lemonade, everything on the menu is so delicious! Trying to recreate some of these classic menu items at home is so fun. You’ll have to try my copycat recipes for Chick-fil-A sauce, nuggets, lemonade, and their amazing peach shakes!
Chick-fil-A Peppermint Milkshake Recipe
Oh Chick-fil-A milkshakes, how I love you. There really isn’t anything better. They’re definitely my go-to when I’m craving something creamy and sweet! From November to January, their peppermint shake makes an appearance. Let me tell you, if you haven’t tried one of these bad boys yet, you need to. STAT.
Good news is, if your local Chick-fil-A has stopped selling their peppermint shakes, you can still easily make them at home! As much as I love Chick-fil-A’s shakes, I personally think they’re better made from scratch. This way, you can adjust the consistency and all the flavors to your liking! One sip of this creamy peppermint shake and you’ll be as obsessed as I am. By the way- if you love copycat recipes, you can find my full list of them here!
What Makes Chick-fil-A Milkshakes So Good?
Chick-fil-A uses a blend of soft serve ice cream and whole milk to make their milkshakes. Unless you happen to have a soft serve machine, using a high-fat, creamy vanilla ice cream for your shake is the perfect alternative. Their milkshakes are also handspun so they have the perfect thickness and density!
I’m going to go ahead and say sorry to my diet in advance. If you want the creamiest peppermint milkshake possible, you’ll want to use high-fat ingredients here. See the recipe card below for exact measurements!
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Look for vanilla ice cream made with whole milk and that has a high fat percentage. This will give your milkshake that classic Chick-fil-A goodness.
- Whole Milk: Again, I recommend using whole milk so that your shake turns out rich and creamy.
- Peppermint Extract: Peppermint extract can become overpowering pretty easily, so I recommend adding less at first and then adjusting to taste from there.
- Vanilla: I recommend using pure vanilla extract for the best flavor!
- Peppermint Candy: You can use crushed candy canes, peppermint bark, or peppermint candies for your shake.
- Grated Dark Chocolate: For some tasty mint chip flavor! Dark chocolate chips also work.
- Red Food Coloring: (Optional) Just a couple drops will give your shake the perfect pink color.
- Whipped Cream: You’ve got to have some whipped cream on top! You can also add a maraschino cherry for that classic Chick-fil-A finishing touch.
How to Make a Copycat Chick-fil-A Peppermint Milkshake
It only takes a few minutes to make this delicious holiday beverage. I love surprising my family with it! It’s quickly becoming a new tradition for Christmas time. They can never get enough! It’s no surprise with how sweet, creamy, and delightfully minty it is. One sip and you’ll be hooked.
- Chop Peppermint Candies and Chocolate: In a blender or food processor, finely crush your peppermint candy or candy canes. In a small bowl grate your dark chocolate. Set aside.
- Blend Ice Cream, Milk, and Peppermint Extract: In your blender add ice cream, milk, and peppermint, blend until well combined. If you are adding the food coloring, then you can add it at this point.
- Add Peppermint Candy and Chocolate: Add in your crushed peppermints and dark chocolate, continue to blend until everything comes together.
- Enjoy: Pour into your favorite glass. Then garnish with some whipped cream and enjoy!
Why Did My Milkshake Turn Out Lumpy?
This usually happens because the ice cream you used was too hard/icy. I like to let my ice cream soften a little before I use it so everything mixes together smoothly!
Tips and Serving Ideas
Making this peppermint milkshake is really as easy as it gets, but here are a couple of extra ways to customize yours! Honestly, it’s one of the best treats for the holiday season. Baked goods get a lot of love this time of year, but beverages need their time to shine!
- Adjust Peppermint Flavor: You can add more or less peppermint extract depending on your taste. I love peppermint so I tend to add extra when making this for myself!
- Adjust Consistency: If you want your milkshake to be thicker, don’t add ice! This can actually water it down. Instead, add a small scoop of ice cream at a time until you reach your desired thickness. To make it thinner, add a splash of milk!
- Freeze Your Glasses: I like to put the glasses I will use for serving into the freezer about 30 minutes before making this recipe. This way, they are nice and frosty, ready to serve this delicious shake.
How Long Will My Milkshake Last?
This peppermint milkshake recipe is best made and enjoyed fresh, although you can keep it frozen in an airtight container. Thaw it out a little and give it a quick mix before serving.