These are honestly the Best Moist Cornbread Muffins you will ever have! They come out of the oven moist and tender with the perfect balance of savory and sweet. Pair these cornbread muffins with fall soups and southern plates for a perfect side dish!
If you’re looking for delicious side dishes, try my 1 Hour Buttermilk Dinner Rolls, Super Moist Cornbread, Easy Buttermilk Biscuits.
Why This Recipe Works
Savory & Sweet: These best moist cornbread muffins are not only super moist and tender, but they are also perfectly savory and sweet. I curated this recipe to have the perfect amount of sugar to complement the cornmeal and make the flavor balanced. You can enjoy these muffins with butter for a more savory treat or add some honey for some sweetness!
Easy to Make: I am all about making delicious recipes as easy as possible. Luckily, these individual muffins are super easy to whip up! You’ll just have to mix together the ingredients and bake. You can have these as a complement to any dish in less than 30 minutes!
Conveniently Portioned: Usually, cornbread is made in a loaf pan instead of a muffin pan, which makes things messy and crumbly when slicing it into individual slices! So, having these cornbread muffins made in a muffin pan is so much more convenient and easy. No messy cutting and each person can have their own!
Ingredients for Best Moist Corn Bread Muffins
For the Muffins:
- Flour- All purpose flour is needed as the base and structure for these muffins.
- Cornmeal– Cornmeal gives the classic cornbread taste and texture!
- Sugar– Sugar is needed to complement the corn and caramelize the outside of the muffins.
- Baking Powder– Baking powder will create the beautiful raised dome on these cornbread muffins.
- Butter– Melted butter helps to tenderize the muffins.
- Oil– Oil is added for extra moisture.
- Milk– You can use your preferred milk here. Whole milk or 2% would both work great!
- Eggs– Eggs are added for stability and give some extra rise to the muffins.
- Honey & More Butter for Serving
For the Honey Butter:
- Honey & Butter– Mix together the honey and butter for the perfect topping!
How to Make It
For the Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together melted butter, oil, milk, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill the muffin tin with the mixture. Each muffin cavity should be filled about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Don’t fill them all the way since you want to give them room to rise.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown. To check for doneness, stick a toothpick into one and make sure the toothpick comes out pretty clean without any wet batter.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before gently removing from the muffin tin.
For the Honey Butter:
- Use an electric hand mixer to whip the honey and butter together for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Serve with warm cornbread muffins.
Expert Tips for the Best Moist Cornbread Muffins
- Make sure you use cornmeal for this recipe and not corn flour or masa harina. Cornmeal is the perfect, grainy texture that these muffins need.
- If you want a more savory cornbread muffin, you can add diced jalapeños or green chilis to your muffins!
- Don’t over mix once you add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients! This can cause the muffin to be tough instead of tender.
- Store your cornbread muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also keep them in the fridge for up to one week, or freeze them individually wrapped for up to 3 months!
- These best moist cornbread muffins are so moist and tender due to the ratio of flour to cornmeal. Too much cornmeal and the muffins can get dry and crumbly, so make sure you measure out the flour and cornmeal accurately!