Start your morning off right with this hearty and filling Bagel Breakfast Sandwich. It has everything you need to fuel your body and to keep you full until lunch. These are also perfect for breakfast on the go and always hit the spot!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I seriously can’t wait to whip something up when my eyes pop open in the morning. If you can’t relate, don’t worry! The rest of my family is definitely not like me. They love to grab a bowl of cereal and call it a day. If you are on the hunt for quick and easy breakfast ideas that are more filling and nutrient dense than cereal, you’ve got to try these Overnight Oats, this Overnight Breakfast Casserole, and these simple and filling Breakfast Enchiladas.
Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
There is no better way to say it- this bagel breakfast sandwich is the best breakfast I’ve ever had! And that’s saying a lot, because I LOVE breakfast. Did I mention it’s my favorite meal of the day? You can probably tell I’m pretty passionate about the first meal of the day because I have lots of breakfast recipes on my blog. And they are all amazing because I also have high standards for starting my day.
These sandwiches are top-notch delicious. If you have a problem with bagels, I don’t know what to tell you except they are delicious and actually not that bad for you compared to a lot of other breakfast choices. Especially if you make your bagels at home, they are a simple bread with only a few ingredients that make the perfect base for your other ingredients. You will layer on delicious scrambled eggs, flavorful bacon, and fresh avocado slices for the perfect bite every time. English muffin sandwiches have nothing on this recipe! Although, if you do love a good breakfast sandwich, my English muffin recipe is really good too,.
Bagel breakfast sandwiches have only the best ingredients! Of course like any sandwich recipe, you can put whatever ingredients you want on this. I am listing out the things I prefer below, but there are so many other things you can add. Thinly sliced onion or red onion are amazing on egg sandwiches. I usually sprinkle some freshly cracked pepper and Kosher salt over the top of the eggs once I’m done cooking them. This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes when I have a little extra time to put them together. They are so delicious! You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Bagel: I prefer the everything bagel because it’s my favorite! You can pick up your favorite kind of bagels from the grocery store, or make some at home! Homemade bagels are next level delicious!
- Eggs: I prefer scrambled eggs, but you can definitely cook up some fried egg on a skillet. The soft yolk adds lots of flavor and moisture.
- Bacon: This is my preferred choice of protein, but of course you could use ham, turkey, turkey bacon, or patty sausage instead!
- Cheddar Cheese: I actually used American cheese, but sharp cheddar would do great. You can also use cream cheese instead of course! Havarti or provolone cheese is also a great choice.
- Tomato: I like to slice it really thin and lay it on.
- Arugula: I love arugula because of the strong flavor. I just put a handful of it on. Spinach or lettuce would be delicious too.
- Avocado: I used half of the avocado for one sandwich. I just sliced it, but you could also make it into guacamole and smear it on.
Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches Recipe
I am fully aware that pretty much anyone can build a sandwich! This bagel breakfast sandwich really is best when assembled in the order I list out below. When you bite into a sandwich, your tongue can actually taste different flavors together based on how you stacked everything up. This is seriously the best-tasting order to put your ingredients in, I promise!
- Cook Eggs and Bacon: Cook the eggs and bacon right before assembling the sandwich.
- Toast Bagel: Toast the bagel and spread butter on the bagel if you desire.
- Add Egg and Cheese: On the bottom slice of the bagel, layer on the cooked eggs and cheese. Allow the cheese to slightly melt on top of the warm eggs.
- Add Bacon and Tomato: Add the bacon and tomato slices.
- Top Off and Enjoy: Finish with a handful of arugula, sliced avocado, and the other bagel slice.
Tips for Making Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches
These bagel breakfast sandwiches are definitely straightforward. These tips below are some of the ways that I’ve taken this sandwich to the next level! There are so many ways to switch up your ingredients and how your prepare them to make a whole new sandwich every time.
- Fry Your Eggs: This is one of my favorite ways to switch up this recipe. I fry my eggs instead of scrambling them about half the time. I really love the runny yolk, but that just me! If you want to make a lot of sandwiches at a time, I recommend making this baked scrambled egg dish. It will cut down on a lot of the work!
- Switch Up Your Protein: This is another one I love to change up. If you are not a fan of bacon, there are so many delicious options! You can even use leftover meat from the night before on this sandwich. I’ve actually made prime rib for a special occasion for dinner, and then thinly sliced in and put it on these sandwiches for breakfast and it was MIND BLOWING! Pretty much any meat will be amazing on this sandwich!
- Toast Bagels in Oven: This is another great trick especially if you are already making a few sandwiches and don’t mind turning the oven on. The perfect toast on a bagel always comes from the oven if you ask me! You can also leave your oven on low, and once you add the scrambled eggs and cheese, pop them back in the oven to melt that cheese perfectly.
Like a lot of breakfast sandwiches, I always prefer these bagel breakfast sandwiches fresh. The fresh ingredients mixed with the cooked warm ingredients make this one hard to reheat in the perfect way. You can store your leftovers if you do have any, and here’s how.
- In the Refrigerator: Wrap your leftovers in plastic wrap or put them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The avocado will start to brown and go bad in about two days. If you leave the avocado off, you can store this sandwich for up to 5 days.